Messages les plus consultés

vendredi 6 mai 2011

A New Consumer Empowerment : The "Emergent Nature" Consumer

The “Right” Consumers for Better Concepts: Identifying Consumers High in Emergent Nature to Develop New Product Concepts


Donna. L. Hoffman, Praveen K. Kopalle et Thomas P Novak propose in a recent article from Journal of Marketing Research (October 2010, vol. 47, pp. 854- 865) a new concept that they call “emergent nature" consumer.

They define it "as the unique capability to imagine or envision how concepts might be further developed so that they will be successful in the mainstream marketplace".


Main traits

- openness to new experiences and ideas
- an intellective self-focus, or “reflection”
- ability to synergistically apply both an experiential and a rational processing style
- ability to process information both verbally (rational style) and visually (experiential style)
- high levels of creativity
- optimism.

How to Measure "Emergent Nature" ?

Hoffman, Kopalle et Novak validate a new scale with the following 8 items (Likert Scale : Agree vs Disagree)

1. When I hear about a new product or service idea, it is easy to imagine how it might be developed into an actual product or service.
2. Even if I don’t see an immediate use for a new product or service, I like to think about how I might use it in the future.
3. When I see a new product or service idea, it is easy to visualize how it might fit into the life of an average person in the future.
4. If someone gave me a new product or service idea with no clear application, I could “fill in the blanks” so someone else would know what to do with it.
5. Even if I don’t see an immediate use for a new product or service, I like to imagine how people in general might use it in the future.
6. I like to experiment with new ideas for how to use products and services.
7. I like to find patterns in complexity.
8. I can picture how products and services of today could be improved to make them more appealing to the average person

Results

Authors show in multiple studies settings across two distinct product categories that "consumers high in emergent nature are able to develop product concepts that mainstream consumers find significantly more appealing and useful than concepts developed by typical, lead user, or even innovative consumers".

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire